School season is here! Going back-to-school means excitement for kids but can be stressful for busy moms as meal planning comes into play. Preparing baon for your kids can be a struggle considering both their picky tastes and the nutritional content they need to grow strong and healthy. That is why Swedish appliance brand Electrolux is here with a few tricks up their sleeve to help moms prepare yummy dishes with vegetables that kids will love.
Check out these recipes from the Electrolux Life App to help spark ideas for healthy and delicious baon for your kids.
Cheese it up!
Since a lot of kids are not fond of eating vegetables, this Kid-Friendly Chicken & Broccoli Quesadilla recipe is a great way to add veggies in a way kids will enjoy. Start by placing Flour Tortillas on a plate, top it with cheddar cheese, add chicken and broccoli florets. Top it with another layer of Flour Tortillas then place it in a toaster oven at 350ºF and cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cut the quesadilla using a pizza cutter, wait for it to cool and it’s ready to be packed!
Kid-Friendly Chicken & Broccoli Quesadilla
15 min | Serves 2
|4 Flour Tortillas
237 mL Shredded Chicken
120 g Shredded Cheddar Cheese
175 g Cooked Broccoli Florets
|1. Place Flour Tortillas (2) on a plate, top with cheddar cheese (120 g)
2. Add chicken (140g) and broccoli florets (175g).
3. Top with another Flour Tortillas (2) then place in a toaster oven at 350 degrees F and cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Cut using a pizza cutter, serve hot, and enjoy!
Spinach and Cheddar Potato Cakes
Potatoes are usually a crowd pleaser so why not make the most of your leftover mashed potatoes by making Spinach and Cheddar Potato Cakes.
Simply mix together the egg, frozen spinach, seasoned salt, onion powder and ground black pepper in a medium bowl. Add the mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, and fresh chives. Mix it well until breadcrumbs have been absorbed. Form a scoop of the potato mixture into patties and fry the patties in a non-stick frying pan until golden brown. For the sauce, stir together sour cream and fresh dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the dip alongside the cakes!
Spinach and Cheddar Potato Cakes
25 mins | Serves 2
2 oz Thawed, Drained Frozen Spinach
1/4 tsp Seasoned Salt
1/8 tsp Onion Powder
1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 cup Mashed Potatoes
1/3 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
1 tsp Chopped Fresh Chives
2 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1 tsp Chopped Fresh Dill
to taste Salt and Pepper
|1. In a medium bowl, mix together Egg (1), Frozen Spinach (2 oz), Seasoned Salt (1/4 tsp), Onion Powder (1/8 tsp), and Ground Black Pepper (1/8 tsp).
2. Add Mashed Potatoes (1 cup) and mix until well combined. Stir in Cheddar Cheese (1/3 cup), Breadcrumbs (1/4 cup), and Fresh Chives (1 tsp). Mix until combined and breadcrumbs have been absorbed.
3. Heat Olive Oil (2 tsp) in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. While pan is heating, form 1/3 cup potato mixture into 3-inch patties about 1/2-inch thick and place into pan as you form them.
4. Cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until heated through and golden brown.
5. Stir together Sour Cream (1/4 cup) and Fresh Dill (1 tsp) and season with Salt and Pepper (to taste). Keep chilled until ready to serve with cakes.
6. Serve sour cream dip alongside cakes. Enjoy!
Bring a Japanese flavor to your kid’s lunch with Teriyaki Pork Rolls with strips of green beans and carrots. In a pot of salted water, bring to a boil the thin strips of green beans, sliced carrot, and bell pepper for 2 mins. Once cooked, strain and dry with paper towel then set aside.
To make the sauce, mix soy sauce, white granulated sugar, and water in a small bowl and set aside. Take one of the thin pork cutlets and dust it with all-purpose flour on both sides. Add three of each of the green beans, carrot slices, and red bell pepper slices on the cutlet, season it with salt and pepper to taste. Then roll the pork and close it with toothpicks. Fry the pork until golden brown and remove toothpicks. Add the sauce, continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes until sauce thickened and all sides of the pork are coated.
Teriyaki Pork Rolls
30 mins | Serves 6
|6 Thin Pork Cutlets
18 Trimmed Green Beans
1 Thinly Sliced Small Carrot
1 Thinly Sliced, Deseeded Small Red Bell Pepper
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
to taste All-Purpose Flour
to taste Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 Tbsp Water
|1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. While waiting, deseed and thinly slice the Red Bell Pepper (1). Thinly slice the Carrot (1) into 18 thin strips. Trim the ends of the Green Beans (18).
2. Add the green beans, sliced carrot, and sliced bell pepper to the boiling water. Cook for 2 minutes, strain and dry with paper towel. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix Soy Sauce (2 Tbsp), white Granulated Sugar (1 Tbsp), and Water (2 Tbsp) to make a sauce. Set aside.
4. Take one of the Thin Pork Cutlets (6) and dust with All-Purpose Flour (to taste) on both sides. Add three of the green beans, three of the carrot slices, and three of the red bell pepper slices on the cutlet.
5. Season with Salt and Pepper (to taste) and begin rolling the pork. Close with toothpicks. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
6. Add Vegetable Oil (2 Tbsp) to pan and when the oil is hot, add pork rolls. Cook until the pork is golden brown and remove toothpicks, about 8 minutes.
7. Add the sauce and shake the pan to make sure all sides are coated, continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
8. Turn heat off, and slice rolls into pieces. Serve warm over leftover sliced vegetables or rice.
Put a new and healthier spin on your kid’s snack time with this recipe of Baked Zucchini Fries!
First, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut zucchini into fries-like size, no need to peel them. In a medium bowl, combine panko, parmesan, salt, paprika, and pepper. Place whisked eggs in a separate medium bowl, and the flour in a third medium bowl. Dip zucchini pieces into the flour, then the egg, then the panko. Dip zucchini pieces into the flour, then egg, then the panko. Once all zucchini are breaded, bake it for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy. For the sauce, just combine the yogurt, cheese, mayonnaise, and chives to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
Baked Zucchini Fries
30 mins | Serves 4
50 g Panko Breadcrumbs
25 g Shredded Parmesan Cheese
3 g tsp Salt
1 g Smoked Paprika
To taste Ground Black Pepper
2 Whisked Large Egg
57 g All-Purpose Flour
142 g Plain Greek Yogurt
50 g Gorgonzola Cheese
60 g Light Mayonnaise
6 g Chopped Fresh Chives
|1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F (220 degrees C).
2. Cut Zucchini (2) in half lengthwise, then slice into roughly ½ inch wide by 4 inch long fries (no need to peel them).
3. Combine panko (50 g), parmesan cheese (25 g), salt (3 g), smoked paprika (1 g), and pepper in a medium bowl.
4. Place large egg (2) in a separate medium bowl, and the all-purpose flour (57 g) in a third medium bowl.
5. Working in small batches, dip zucchini pieces into the flour, then egg, then the panko. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
6. When all zucchini are breaded, bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
7. Meanwhile, add plain Greek yogurt (142 g), gorgonzola cheese (50 g), light mayonnaise (60 ), and fresh chives (6 g) to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Season to taste with ground black pepper.
8. Serve zucchini fries warm with dipping sauce.
Preparing your kids’ healthy and tasty baon is easy with Electrolux kitchen appliances, like the Electrolux NutriFresh™ Inverter Refrigerators, which come with new features to keep produce fresh for longer. The new Electrolux NutriFresh™ Inverter French Door Refrigerator (EHE6879A-BPH) allows you to go from chilling the food to cooking them in minutes. With its special UltraChill -2ºC feature, it preserves the texture and nutrients of meat and fish for longer without having to defrost it.
Different food types require unique storage conditions to stay fresh and the new NutriFresh™ refrigerator comes with a FlexFresh drawer, an optimal storage compartment with five temperature settings (-23°C to +7°C). This enables you to store all types of food – from cheese and wine, meat and seafood, to cold drinks and frozen items – at the temperature they need to remain fresh.
To help retain the juiciness of produce, the NutriFresh™ Inverter French Door Refrigerator also comes with a TasteLock Crisper with AutoHumidity Control which automatically adjusts humidity levels depending on the contents of the drawer. The AutoHumidity Control releases excess moisture from the compartment to help keep fruits and vegetables fresh for up to 7 days. It also has a TwinTech Cooling System that cools the fridge and freezer compartments separately, so food stays fresher and odors don’t mix.
If you are looking for a cooking range, check out the Electrolux Cooking Range with Induction Cooktop & Electric Oven (EKI64500OX). It not only comes with a spacious layout to help you prepare multiple dishes at once, but also has powerful induction zones for speedy cooking and precision heat control that allows you to accurately set your desired flame for perfectly cooked dishes.
To get the full recipes of these dishes, download the Electrolux Life app on the App Store or Google Play store and click the ‘Recipe Finder Powered by SideChef’ within the app to access thousands of global recipes from SideChef’s database.
For more information on Electrolux and its products, please visit www.electrolux.com.ph and follow @ElectroluxPhilippines on Facebook and Instagram.